08 November 2010

Do you respect older people?

Do you respect older people? Why? Do you respect older people because of their age? Or for other reasons? If it is because of their age, why so?

Chinese societies are very much into respecting elderly people, with few explanations as to why this should be. I used to wonder why such “wisdom” is passed through generations without being challenged. I have to say that I don’t respect seniors just because of their age. Respect has to be earned.

Just as I don’t disrespect children because of their age, I don’t respect seniors because of their age. Age per se is not a good argument for me. To me, we should respect life, respect people as individuals, having a rightful place on this planet. Seniors don’t get extra respect for the mere reason of being older. There are some young people who put me in awe, and many more who deserve my admiration and respect. And there are a lot of older people whom I don’t respect.
But, of course, there are other qualities that come with age that I appreciate–the ability to withstand adversity, worldly wisdom gained out of a lifetime of experience, and so on. But age is never a good enough argument for me.

As a gero nurse, I advocate for the well-being and health of seniors, not because they are a respectable group because of their advanced age, not because of their growing numbers and looming “grey power.” As a gero nurse, I am cognizant of the right of every member of our society to receive the same respect, irrespective of power, wealth and class. Only when groups live in harmony and recognize each other as having equal rights can we start to build a better world.

For Reflections on Nursing Leadership (RNL), published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International.

No comments:

Post a Comment